Monday, February 11, 2013

Pre-Rocky Raccoon Race Report


I am struggling to write my Rocky Raccoon Race report. So much happened! I met so many amazing people!

My flight got into Houston at 7:15PM, and I went to the wrong hotel, thinking that Brian was staying at the same hotel as Laura and Kynan! I felt so bad calling Kynan and waking him up at 10:00PM! He was sleeping! I am such a terrible friend! Sighs... Luckily, Brian was at the hotel right next to the Holiday Inn, at the Day’s Inn.  I finally got to meet “Sass” for the first time!  And there was a sofa bed, so I didn’t even have to sleep on the floor! After chatting for about 45 minutes, we decided to get some sleep. After all, we’d have to get up at 4am! 

In the weeks leading up to this race, I seriously considered dropping down to the 50-miler. I was under trained. My last long run was the Morgan Hill Marathon on October 30th. I was scared as hell of that 100 mile distance. I had never run past 50. Ever. And the past year had been a crummy year of running for me. I haven’t even been on the Loop much lately.  So what chance did I have of finishing 100 miles? Everything would have to be perfect, and even then, I would probably need a miracle (and a stretcher) to deliver me to that finish line.

Linnea posted to Facebook that she was under trained and didn’t know what to do either. I responded with: 

I'm struggling with the decision to drop to the 50 myself... I haven't been running much since my sprained ankle at the quad dipsea. These decisions are tough. But you have to listen to your own heart. Forget about what anyone else might think and do what makes you happiest. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

And it was in that moment that I knew what I had to do. My heart wanted to be shooting for that 100 Mile finish. I’ve been dreaming of finishing 100 mile races since I picked up that Born to Run book over three years ago.  

So there I was, on the stage of my dreams. And it was AWESOME! Mostly. It was everything I hoped it would be and more.

And now, I don’t know how to put it all into a race report. Garbanzo’s video interviews and race report was great! But it still left some things unsaid.  So if you haven’t read Garbanzo’s report, that’s a great place to start!


I don’t know when I’ll be done with my race report. I have a draft done, but it still needs a lot of work! Stay tuned! 

Here I am after the finish, looking deliriously happy, with goofy grin...

No comments:

Post a Comment