Friday, March 11, 2016

Way Too Cool 50K Race Report Q&A

Way Too Cool 50K Q&A

Q: So you ran a 50K ultra last Saturday! How did you feel after the race and are you already recovered?

A: Yeah, it was my 27th ultra finish! No big deal really. With some weak training, I just wanted to take it easy and get it done. I kept telling myself that it was just a long training run. 

Q: I heard it was super muddy out there with a gazillion stream crossings, not to mention the wind and rain! 

A: Yes, it was really muddy out there and it slowed most of us down. But we come into this race expecting the mud and stream crossings. And I think we really lucked out with the weather! We got some rain in the afternoon, but it could have been a lot worse. 

Q: I know you don't want to bore everyone with all the little details of your run so maybe you can give us a few highlights of your race.

A: I saw Gordy Ainsleigh in the early miles, and a girl that was running her first ultra was all starstruck about meeting Gordy! She was taking a few selfies with Gordy, and I asked to photobomb one of her selfies. I asked Gordy if he ever got tired of being a rockstar. Of course he replied with a no, and a childish grin on his face. It was a whimsical, cool moment with a legend.

Another highlight of my race was running with Christine Hartman, who I met at Born to Run back in May of 2015. I just enjoy her company and friendship. She had a torn meniscus in her left knee and was in a bit of pain. It was inspiring to see her still pushing and running strong. She even told me to "get my ass going!" when I was walking at one point. It cracked me up! Christine is a young 57 year old, who doesn't act her age, by the way. Her chiropractor is Gordy Ainsleigh and her main endurance events are 100 mile horse races! She is a Tevis Cup pro! How cool is that! 

Q: What was your official time for the race, and are you happy with it? 

A: My time for the 50K was 7:41. I was very happy with how I did, considering my lack of training and the cold I was fighting. I ran a 5:18 on the same course two years ago, so I know I can do better if I train better. However, I don't think it's fair to compare myself to the faster version of myself from two years ago.  "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." Each time we lace up for a race, we just have to make the best of what we have.

Q: Are you signed up for any more races? And do you plan on training for them? 

I plan on running the Born to Run 30 mile coming up in May. It'll be by third year in a row. And yes, the plan is to start training now. Good thing I have a good 50K training run under my belt now! 




1 comment: